The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) will be responsible for scientific exchange with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), education of health care providers on Client Company products and disease states of interest, and facilitation of regional clinical research development and clinical support. The MSL functions as a regional medical and scientific resource who works to pair the changing needs of healthcare professionals with available Client Company resources. The MSL works under the guidance of an MSL manager at TriNet Pharma and may work with a Client Company manager within the medical, scientific or clinical departments.
Position Title: Medical Science Liaison JO-1908-5301 / 5302 / 5303
Develop, maintain, and manage collaborations with regional and national KOLs, HCPS, and other healthcare professionals in therapeutic areas of interest to Client Company -
- Identify and build collaborations with KOLs for medical education and potential clinical research opportunities;
- Provide support for academic and government researchers and healthcare providers interested in doing research with Client Company products;
- Create awareness of Client Company product attributes, therapeutic benefits, and appropriate uses;
- Assist in the development of strategic KOL plans to provide needs-based, value-added services;
- Provide relevant medical and scientific information and literature, within corporate guidelines, for healthcare provider education;
- Provide field-based medical and scientific support to answer unsolicited questions about Client Company products and related therapeutic areas.
Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for the medical community in therapeutic areas of interest to Client Company –
- Develop and demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of Client Company, its products, current medical and scientific research and publications in therapeutic areas of interest to Client Company;
- Provide relevant medical and scientific support for healthcare providers, third-party payers, and other managed care audiences;
- Provide medical and scientific support for medical education initiatives (e.g., speaker training);
- Deliver high-quality educational presentations in a variety of settings (e.g., formulary committees, medical meetings, and allied healthcare professionals’ meetings) and obtain feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization;
- Professionally represent Client Company at select medical meetings and programs; and
- Use appropriate, ethical judgment in the distribution of all information, whether written or verbal.
Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for internal stakeholders -
- Provide medical and scientific training support to internal colleagues upon request;
- Participate in internal therapeutic advisory groups and project teams;
- Provide local medical support for certain internal strategic initiatives, such as consultant and advisory meetings;
- Gather and disseminate competitive intelligence from multiple sources; and
- Complete accurate and timely administrative reports, projects, and other required documentation.
Serve as liaison between clinical investigators and internal stakeholders in support of research –
- Be responsible for the first-line review of investigator-sponsored studies originating from the territory, and, in collaboration with MSL director/manager, facilitate the submission, review and approval processes for investigator-sponsored studies;
- Act as liaison between external clinical investigators and Client Company internal colleagues to assure timely follow-up of all communications, from proposal to publication, where appropriate;
- Provide support for corporate-sponsored studies.
Gain experience and expertise in the following areas:
- MSL Core Activities –
- Scientific: Knowledge of Client Company products and compounds, knowledge of literature review functions, and Client Company scientific strategy and systems,
- Clinical Research: Serve as a resource for scientific and safety review of ISS submissions and reporting of feedback and recommendations to MSL managers/directors
- Business Need: Ensure that the MSLs’ business, managed care and technology activities are aligned with Client Company activities
- Provide expanded scientific support through the development of strong internal relationships with Client Company’s corporate colleagues –
- Engage in scientific interchange within the medical, scientific and clinical organizations and teams
- Coordinate cross-alignment activities and teams
- Facilitate clinical research activities, i.e., ISS concept reviews and reporting, completion of concept/protocol follow-up activities, recommendation of sites to Clinical, and other activities as assigned.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of MSL roles and responsibilities
- Must demonstrate an understanding of pharmaceutical industry practices, as well as standard medical practices in therapeutic area(s) of concentration and broad therapeutic competency (e.g., keeps current with new information and trends in the field);
- Must have the ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with national, regional, and local KOLs to establish trust through the consistent demonstration of scientific expertise and satisfactory follow-through to requests from thought-leaders;
- Must demonstrate the ability to comprehend and communicate research results across a diverse audience;
- Must demonstrate professional communications (written, verbal, presentation, and listening) to cultivate and nurture strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues;
- Must have a comprehension of Client Company products as well as medical, marketing, legal, and regulatory issues and compliance;
- Must have an understanding of the clinical trial and investigator-sponsored study processes;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work effectively on multi-disciplinary teams in order to achieve desired outcomes;
- Must have the skills to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple responsibilities in a timely manner;
- Must have the ability to work independently, within a home office while efficiently managing time and priorities;
- Must conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner;
- Must deal with ambiguity and thrive in an ever-changing environment.
Qualifications (Education & Experience)
Education and Experience Requirements
- Advanced scientific degree (Doctorate Level) or equivalent required
- Clinical experience within relevant therapeutic areas preferred
- An established track record of effective and influential oral presentations and discussion to healthcare professionals within the therapeutic area(s) of interest to the Client Company
Requires overnight travel with expected night and/or weekend activities
TriNet Pharma is a recruiting firm dedicated exclusively to placing permanent and contract Medical Affairs professionals in the Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Device, and Diagnostic industries in the United States and Europe. What began as a small firm focused primarily on the identification and placement of Medical Science Liaisons has evolved into one of healthcare’s largest and most respected agencies for providing Medical Director Services (MDS) and Medical Science Liaison Services (MSLs). TriNet Pharma has identified and placed Medical Affairs professionals at the Medical Science Liaison, Associate Medical Director, Director, Senior Director, and Vice-President levels across multiple therapeutic areas. The company continues to benefit from a performance-based culture built upon the core values of trust, leadership, expertise, and accountability, which have allowed it to enjoy exponential, year-over-year growth since entering the Medical Affairs arena.